How To Use Full Bandwidth Of Internet Connection In Windows: Using full bandwidth of an internet connection is an important point to increase internet speed. You can get better internet speed by removing the limit on bandwidth tapped by Windows OS.
By default, Microsoft Windows reserves 20 percent internet bandwidth. User is only allowed to consume 80 percent bandwidth of your internet connection. If we remove that limit and use full bandwidth of internet connection then both web page loading speed and downloading speed will automatically increase.
Microsoft Windows use this 20 percent of reserved bandwidth for the purpose like Windows Updates and more. If you got access to 100 percent bandwidth of internet connection and removes this 20 percent limit tasks like Windows Updates make may stutter.
Now lets proceed on to learn how to remove reserved bandwidth usage in Microsoft Windows.
Process To Use Full Bandwidth Of Internet Connection
Most of the Windows users are unaware of this fact that removing reserved bandwidth limit can speed up their internet browsing. But know you can utilize full network bandwidth. You just need to follow some basic steps described below. You can apply this tutorial in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1
1. Press Windows Button + R simultaneously. Now type gpedit.msc in Run box. Click on OK or hit Enter button on keyboard.
2. A new window named Local Group Policy Editor will open.
3. Click On Computer Configuration > Administrative > Network > Qos Packet Scheduler
4. In that Window, double-click on Limit reservable bandwidth. It is not configured yet and we will configure it after new windows will open.
5. A new windows of Limit reservable bandwidth. Now you will see a button of not configured is ON.
6. Now enable it by clicking on the button of Enabled.
7. Bandwidth Limit (%) box will be set to 20 percent. It is the default setting of Microsoft Windows. The percentage value here defines the amount of network bandwidth to be reserved by Windows. Whatever amount you will put in that box Windows will treat it as amount of reserved bandwidth.
8. Now you should 0 in that box of Limit reservable bandwidth. By putting 0 Windows can use 100 percent network bandwidth.
9. Click on OK, close all the open windows.
10. Restart your computer to make Windows to use changed setting in Limit reservable bandwidth.
Another Way To Utilize Full Network Bandwidth
This method of utilizing full network bandwidth in Microsoft Windows includes editing Windows registry. The process is as follows:
1. Open Run box by hitting Windows button + R. Type regedit.exe
2. A new Windows of Registry Editor will open.
3. Now you need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched
4. If Psched registry is not there, you should create it by right clicking on Windows folder then click on New > Key. After that name that folder Psched.
5. Now right-click on right pane go to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. A new registry will be created and name that NonBestEffortLimit.
6. Now you need to modify this registry named NonBestEffortLimit. To modify it right-click on it and click modify.
7. In new pop up windows, set the Value data to 0 and base to decimal.
8. Now you have set the windows to release to all bandwidth for using by all other apps.
9. Click OK and Restart.
So these are the two methods to configure windows to use full bandwidth of internet connection. But still the downloading and web page loading is still dependent on these data speed provided by Internet Service Provider.
Also this article is just about how to utilize full network bandwidth in Windows. There can be just a slight boost in internet speed. You can find the impact of removing bandwidth limit here.